We have moved!

This blog is no longer actively updated. You can now find us at http://poetscollective.org/poetryforms/.

Sunday, January 13, 2013

Sestina - Rhymed


The Rhymed Sestina
The most important recognized sestina variant is the rhymed sestina, which was devised by Swinburne. Here keywords 1, 3 and 5 rhyme with each other, as do keywords 2, 4 and 6. The permutations are revised so that every stanza has the same rhyming scheme ababab. In terms of the keywords, the revised structure is:
stanza 1: 123456
stanza 2: 614325
stanza 3: 561432
stanza 4: 256143
stanza 5: 321654
stanza 6: 432561
tornada:  14/23/56

This is the structure that MUST be used if you write a rhymed sestina and
should NOT be used for an un-rhymed sestina.

Example Poem

Checking Your List       ( Rhymed Sestina )



I think today I'll itemize our woes
then tomorrow I'll pick out one to solve.
I can accomplish that much I suppose
if I approach the problem with resolve.
I'll Itemize the problems in neat rows
then find the means to make them all dissolve.

All things that are soluble will dissolve.
If I can disassemble all our woes
I should find components we can resolve.
An ordered list is needed, I suppose
For surely world-wide problems I can't solve.
I must therefore prioritize my rows

Put those deemed easiest in the top rows
A solution makes most all things dissolve.
A binding to insolubles makes woes
an aggregate resistant to resolve.
We must demote those woes I shall suppose
reserving strength for those we're apt to solve.

Fixating on what we expect to solve
al lows us to dispose of early rows
and thus our will to win will not dissolve.
Our work will soon disclose imposing woes
Solutions will evolve, building resolve.
Some I'll solve while in repose, I suppose

I suspect there's no reason to suppose
discouragement over those we can't solve
won't whittle our will, (and add to our woes).
Don't add that to the list.  It will dissolve.
Wiggle your toes when progress slows on rows;
Think of Poe's work or write prose with resolve.

Decide to ignore the list with resolve.
Some solutions one surely should suppose
will spring from things we're not trying to solve.
At last unchangeables fill all our rows
World-wide differences will not dissolve.
Omit God's will and nature from your woes .

I think the woes I know I can resolve
I'll quickly solve forever, I suppose.
Concern for rows remaining will dissolve.

  © Lawrencealot - January 12, 2013)

Visual Template


No comments:

Post a Comment